Meaning : Joseph is a Biblical name and means 'will add' or 'to increase'., God Will Increase, God will Increase, God shall add another son,
Pronunciation : JO-səf (English), zho-ZEF (French), YO-zef (German) , JO zeff, (JHOW-sahf),
If you have information about this name, share it in the comments area below!
Numerology information Joseph:
- Name Number: 1. Meaning: Individual, Masculine, Logic, Self, Active, Leadership, Initiative, Assertive
Additional information Joseph:
- English form of the biblical Hebrew name Yosef, meaning 'God shall add another son'. This was borne by the favourite son of Jacob, whose brothers became very jealous of him and sold him into slavery (Genesis 37). He was taken to Egypt, where he rose to become chief steward to Pharoh, and was eventually reconciled to his brothers when they came to buy corn during a seven-year famine (Genesis 43-7). In the New Testament Joseph is the name of the husband of the Virgin Mary. It is also borne by a rich Jew, Joseph of Arimathea, who took Jesus down from the Cross, wrapped him in a shroud, and buried him in a rock tomb. According to medieval legend, Joseph of Arimathea brought the Holy Grail to Britain. The name was uncommon in Britain in the Middle Ages buy was revived in the mid 16th century and had become popular by mid 17th, as it still is today.
- Biblical Meaning: The name Joseph is a Biblical baby name. In Biblical the meaning of the name Joseph is: Increase; addition.
- American Meaning: The name Joseph is an American baby name. In American the meaning of the name Joseph is: Increase; addition.
- Hebrew Meaning: The name Joseph is a Hebrew baby name. In Hebrew the meaning of the name Joseph is: May Jehovah add/give increase. St Joseph of Arimathea undertook the burial of Jesus (in Holy Grail lore). In the bible Joseph was sold by his brothers into slavery and later rose to become a supreme power in Egypt. Also Jesus' legal father.
- Kinda funny: Joseph means something like “God will add,” and for more than the last century, someone’s been adding a whole lot of, well, Josephs. The name’s been ranked in the US top 16 since at least 1880, and is well-used in different forms all over the world. (It actually has variations in languages we haven’t even heard of, like the Lombard Giusepp and Pepp.) Joseph’s popularity started way back in biblical times, with prominent characters like Jacob’s favorite son (remember Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat?) and the Virgin Mary’s husband. No matter how many little Josephs are added, we still love the name. From Joey to Joe to Joseph, it’s kind of like the magical moniker that morphs to perfectly suit a guy throughout his entire life.
- From Ioseph, the Latin form of Greek Ιωσηφ (Ioseph), which was from the Hebrew name יוֹסֵף (Yosef) meaning "he will add". In the Old Testament, Joseph is the eleventh son of Jacob. Because he was the favourite of his father, his older brothers sent him to Egypt and told their father that he had died. In Egypt, Joseph became an advisor to the pharaoh, and was eventually reconciled with his brothers when they came to Egypt during a famine. This name also occurs in the New Testament, belonging to Saint Joseph the husband of Mary and Joseph of Arimathea. In the Middle Ages, Joseph was a common Jewish name, being less frequent among Christians. In the late Middle Ages Saint Joseph became more highly revered, and the name became popular in Spain and Italy. In England it became common after the Protestant Reformation. This name was borne by rulers of the Holy Roman Empire and Portugal. Other notable bearers include Polish-British author Joseph Conrad (1857-1924) and the Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin (1878-1953).
Definition funny of Joseph:
- Wow, that guy just ate 58 buffallo wings. What a Joseph!
- You just got Joseph'd
- oh wow look at that guy joseph he is totelly hot
- Joseph makes Superman look like a wimp and he made Chuck Norris quiver with fear.
- If he isn't a Joseph, get rid of him.
- girl1:why u in a wheelchair??? wheelchair girl:j-j-jo-jos-joseph ;D girl1:i understand!!
- **after staring into his eyes and falling in love at that moment** "Hi, my names Joseph" **Keep him close to you**
Expression information Joseph:
- People with this name tend to initiate events, to be leaders rather than followers, with powerful personalities. They tend to be focused on specific goals, experience a wealth of creative new ideas, and have the ability to implement these ideas with efficiency and determination. They tend to be courageous and sometimes aggressive. As unique, creative individuals, they tend to resent authority, and are sometimes stubborn, proud, and impatient.
Soul information Joseph:
- People with this name have a deep inner desire to inspire others in a higher cause, and to share their own strongly held views on spiritual matters.
Songs about Joseph:
- Joseph and Alexander - Of Montreal
- Joseph Merrick - Mastodon
- Joseph's Lullaby [Clean] by MercyMe from the Album The Christmas Sessions
- At The Cross (feat. Joseph Larson) by Grace Larson from the Album Sonlife Radio Presents Joseph and Grace
- How Blue Can You Get? (feat. Edward Rowe, Joseph Burton, Bobby Forte, Cato Walker III, Luis Hubert, Modern Ron... by B. B. King from the Album Jazz At Radio Rai: B. B. King Live (feat. Edward Rowe, Joseph Burton, Bobby Forte, Cato Walker III, Luis Hubert, Modern Ron Levy, Wilbert Freeman, Jess Freeman) [Via Asiago 10]
- I Got Some Help I Don't Need (feat. Edward Rowe, Joseph Burton, Bobby Forte, Cato Walker III, Luis Hubert, Modern... by B. B. King from the Album Jazz At Radio Rai: B. B. King Live (feat. Edward Rowe, Joseph Burton, Bobby Forte, Cato Walker III, Luis Hubert, Modern Ron Levy, Wilbert Freeman, Jess Freeman) [Via Asiago 10]
- You're Not the Only One (feat. Joseph Gordon Levitt) by hitRECord from the Album Hitrecord On TV (Music From Season 1)
- Joseph's Coat (The Coat Of Many Colors) by Original Broadway Cast of 'Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat' from the Album Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat
- Joseph and Mary's Boy by Alabama from the Album Christmas
- Joseph's Song (Medium w/o background vocals) ([Christmas Performance Track]) by Praise Hymn Tracks from the Album Joseph's Song (As Made Popular by Michael Card)
Books about Joseph:
- Joseph - Jul 1, 2002 by Terri L. Fivash
- Joseph - Sep 1, 1997 by Brian Wildsmith
- Great Lives Series: Joseph: A Man of Integrity and Forgiveness (Great Lives from God's Word) - Dec 30, 2008 by Charles R. Swindoll
- Joseph - Women's Bible Study Participant Book: The Journey to Forgiveness - Aug 4, 2015 by Melissa Spoelstra
- Joseph: Overcoming Obstacles Through Faithfulness (Men of Character.) - Jan 15, 1996 by Gene A. Getz and Edwin Louis Cole
- Joseph and the Gospel of Many Colors: Reading an Old Story in a New Way - Oct 31, 2013 by Voddie T Baucham jr
- What To Read After Fifty Shade of Grey: BDSM & Beyond (WTRAFSOG Themes Book 3) - Sep 15, 2015 by Eden Bradley and Annabel Joseph
- Joseph Had a Little Overcoat (Caldecott Medal Book) - Oct 1, 1999 by Simms Taback
- From My Notebook: Words on God, Girls, and Life in General - Sep 16, 2015 by Joseph R. Halbert
- The Hotel Years - Sep 29, 2015 by Joseph Roth and Michael Hofmann
Movies about Joseph:
- Joseph Smith: The Prophet Of The Restoration2013 NR CC
- Joseph: Beloved Son, Rejected Slave, Exalted Ruler2015 NR CC
- Children of Joseph: The Unknown Story2011 NR CC
- Joseph and His Brothers, Told by Ruben Blades with Music by Strunz & Farah2012 NR CC
- The Times and Teachings of Joseph Smith2011 NR CC
- Joseph Campbell: Sukhavati2005 NR
- Joseph Campbell: Mythos I1985
- Joseph Israel2008 NR CC
- Joseph: King of Dreams2000 Unrated CC
- Stalin's Psychiatrist - Joseph Stalin2006 NR CC
Famous about Joseph:
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt - actor
- Joseph Biden - US Vice President
- Joseph “Joe” Namath - former football player
- Joseph “Joe” Jonas - singer
- Joseph Liberman - senator
Infamous about Joseph:
- Joseph Stalin - Soviet leader
- Joseph Slack - suicide pilot
- Joseph McCarthy - politician
- Josef Fritzl (alt. spelling) - sex offender
Wiki information Joseph:
- Joseph in Islam
- Prophet, Film subject, Deceased Person, Person Or Being In Fiction, Person
Joseph is an important person in the Hebrew Bible: his story connects the story of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in Canaan to the subsequent story of the liberation of the Israelites from slavery in Egypt. The Book of Genesis tells that Joseph was the...
- Franz Joseph I of Austria
- Politician, Monarch, Name source, Author, Chivalric Order Member, Dedicatee, Award Winner, Family member, Organization founder, Deceased Person
Franz Joseph I or Francis Joseph I was Emperor of Austria, King of Hungary, Croatia and Bohemia. From 1 May 1850 until 24 August 1866 he was President of the German Confederation. In December 1848, Emperor Ferdinand abdicated the throne as part of...
- Saint Joseph
- Builder, Name source, Art Subject, Person, Deceased Person, Literature Subject, Fictional Character, Person Or Being In Fiction, Film character
Joseph is a figure in the Gospels, the husband of Mary, the mother of Jesus and is venerated Saint Joseph in some Christian traditions. Christian tradition places Joseph as Jesus' foster father. Some historians state that Joseph was Jesus's father....
- Joseph Stalin
- Person or entity appearing in film, Organization leader, Topic, Author, Politician, Organization founder, Identity, , Influence Node, Person
Joseph Stalin was the leader of the Soviet Union from the mid-1920s until his death in 1953. Holding the post of the General secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of the Soviet Union, he was effectively the dictator of the...
- Joseph II, Holy Roman Emperor
- Person, Deceased Person, Noble person, Organization founder, Monarch, Person Or Being In Fiction, Name source, Family member
Joseph II was Holy Roman Emperor from 1765 to 1790 and ruler of the Habsburg lands from 1780 to 1790. He was the eldest son of Empress Maria Theresa and her husband, Francis I, and was the brother of Marie Antoinette. He was thus the first ruler in...
- Joseph Haydn
- Film music contributor, Person, Identity, Person or entity appearing in film, Literature Subject, Composer, Name source, Topic, Author, Topic
Joseph Haydn was a prominent and prolific Austrian composer of the Classical period. He was instrumental in the development of chamber music such as the piano trio and his contributions to musical form have earned him the epithets "Father of the...
- Pope Benedict XVI
- Military Person, Religious Leader, Author, Topic, Organization founder, Academic, Identity, Person, Award Winner, Topic
Pope Benedict XVI served as Pope of the Catholic Church from 2005 until his resignation in 2013. Benedict was elected on 19 April 2005 in a papal conclave following the death of Pope John Paul II and was inaugurated on 24 April 2005. Ordained as a...
- Joseph Goebbels
- Person Or Being In Fiction, Public speaker, Film actor, Politician, Film writer, TV Personality, Author, Identity, Deceased Person, Person
Paul Joseph Goebbels was a German politician and Reich Minister of Propaganda in Nazi Germany from 1933 to 1945. One of Adolf Hitler's close associates and most devoted followers, he was known for his public speaking and deep and virulent...
- Joseph Smith
- Person, Deceased Person, Author, Fictional Character, Politician, Translator, Founding Figure, TV Character, Film subject, Literature Subject
Joseph Smith, Jr. was an American religious leader and founder of Mormonism and the Latter Day Saint movement. When he was twenty-four, Smith published the Book of Mormon; by the time of his death fourteen years later, he had attracted tens of...
- Joe Biden
- Political Appointer, Politician, Organization founder, Celebrity, Topic, Topic, Measured person, Art Subject, Organization leader, American football player
Joseph Robinette "Joe" Biden, Jr. is the 47th and current Vice President of the United States, jointly elected twice with President Barack Obama, and in office since 2009. A member of the Democratic Party, Biden represented Delaware as a United...