Meaning : Derived from the Old Greek meaning 'defender of men', the name was first borne by Paris the prince of Troy, who was given the nickname by herdsmen whom he had defended., Defender Of The People, Defender of the People, To defend; man warrior,
Pronunciation : al-əg-ZAN-dər (English), ah-lek-SAHN-der (German), ah-lək-SAHN-dər (Dutch) , (AELahGZAENDer), AL eks ahn duh,
If you have information about this name, share it in the comments area below!
Numerology information Alexander:
- Name Number: 3. Meaning: Communication, Interaction, Friendship, Joy, Lightness, Humor, Art, Positivity, Optimism
Additional information Alexander:
- Alexander is a name with Greek origins. The meaning of Alexander is Defender of the People. There are many alternate spellings of Alexander depending on the country in which you live. Some of these alternate spellings include Alejandro, Alessandro, and Alexzander. Nicknames for Alexander include Alex, Xander, and Sasha. Famous people with the name Alexander include statesman and U.S. founding father Alexander Hamilton and inventor Alexander Graham Bell. There are many men of royalty named Alexander, from ancient Greece to the 21st Century. Alexander the Great is one such ruler. There were also 8 popes named Alexander. Actors named Alexander include Alexander Skarsgaard (True Blood) and Alec Baldwin (30 Rock). Alexander McQueen was a British fashion designer. People who like the name Alexander also like names of British and Hebrew origins.
- From the Latin form of Greek name Alexandros, comprised of 'to defend' and 'man warrior', Alexander became very popular in the post-classical period. Usage is largely derived from the fame of Alexander the Great, King of Macedon.
- Swedish Meaning: The name Alexander is a Swedish baby name. In Swedish the meaning of the name Alexander is: Defender of man.
- American Meaning: The name Alexander is an American baby name. In American the meaning of the name Alexander is: Defender of man.
- Greek Meaning: The name Alexander is a Greek baby name. In Greek the meaning of the name Alexander is: Defender of men. Alexander the Great was a 4th century Macedonian king for whom the Egyptian city of Alexandria is named. Eight popes and three Russian emperors have been named Alexander.
- Biblical Meaning: The name Alexander is a Biblical baby name. In Biblical the meaning of the name Alexander is: One who assists men.
- Shakespearean Meaning: The name Alexander is a Shakespearean baby name. In Shakespearean the meaning of the name Alexander is: Henry VI, Part 2' Alexander Iden, a Kentish gentleman. 'The History of Troilus and Cressida' Servant to Cressida.
- Both classic and trendy, Alexander comes from the Latin form of the Greek Alexandros, which breaks down into “to defend” (alexo) and “man/warrior” (ander). The meaning is pretty perfect for the name’s most famous bearer -- Alexander the Great, the fourth century B.C. king and conqueror from Macedonia who spread his Greek empire from Asia Minor to Egypt and India. Since then, the name’s been pretty popular -- it’s been used by tons of popes, emperors, kings, and other rulers and has variations in just about every language. In the US, it was mildly popular at the end of the nineteenth century, then took a dip until the ’70s and has been in the top 25 since ’92. Right now, it’s as popular as ever. There are tons of nickname options beyond the obvious Alex -- Xander, Sasha, Alek, and so on -- though you can’t really go wrong with the original. Despite its popularity, Alex has retained its classic but slightly edgy appeal, thanks in part to the trendy “x” ending. Not a bad choice at all.
- Latinized form of the Greek name Αλεξανδρος (Alexandros), which meant "defending men" from Greek αλεξω (alexo) "to defend, help" and ανηρ (aner) "man" (genitive ανδρος). In Greek mythology this was another name of the hero Paris, and it also belongs to several characters in the New Testament. However, the most famous bearer was Alexander the Great, King of Macedon. In the 4th century BC he built a huge empire out of Greece, Egypt, Persia, and parts of India. Due to his fame, and later medieval tales involving him, use of his name spread throughout Europe. The name has been used by kings of Scotland, Poland and Yugoslavia, emperors of Russia, and eight popes. Other notable bearers include English poet Alexander Pope (1688-1744), American statesman Alexander Hamilton (1755-1804), Scottish-Canadian explorer Sir Alexander MacKenzie (1764-1820), Russian poet Alexander Pushkin (1799-1837), and Alexander Graham Bell (1847-1922), the Scottish-Canadian-American inventor of the telephone.
Definition funny of Alexander:
- Why you smiling like that? I hung out with Alexander NO WAY!
- Wow, your boyfriend sure is an alexander!
- Wow, your boyfriend sure is an alexander!
- This is Alexander... a smart person
- Gosh I wish I had an Alexander. I'm so lucky; my boyfriend is an Alexander.
- Bob : Hey Alexander whats up ! ( Giggles ) Alex: Fuck Off!!!
- Nick: "hey Alexander wanna go to Mexico? Alexander: "Hmm, let me think... O.K.!!!!!"
Expression information Alexander:
- People with this name tend to be creative and excellent at expressing themselves. They are drawn to the arts, and often enjoy life immensely. They are often the center of attention, and enjoy careers that put them in the limelight. They tend to become involved in many different activities, and are sometimes reckless with both their energies and with money.
Soul information Alexander:
- People with this name have a deep inner desire to create and express themselves, often in public speaking, acting, writing or singing. They also yearn to have beauty around them in their home and work environment.
Songs about Alexander:
- Alexander - The Angels
- Alexander Beetle - Melanie
- Alexander Graham Bell - Brian Connolly
- Alexander the Great - Iron Maiden
- Joseph and Alexander - Of Montreal
- Workin' (feat. Alexander King) by Big Smo from the Album Kuntry Livin'
- Saturday Love [feat. Alexander O'Neal] by Cherrelle from the Album High Priority
- Anything Goes (feat. Alexander King) by Big Smo from the Album Kuntry Livin'
- Everything I Miss At Home [feat. Alexander O'Neal] by Cherrelle with Alexander O'Neal from the Album Best Of
- Alexanders Ragtime Band by Benny Goodman & His Orchestra from the Album Alexanders Ragtime Band (1936)
Books about Alexander:
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day - Jul 15, 1987 by Judith Viorst and Ray Cruz
- Alexander the Great: The Macedonian Who Conquered the World - May 13, 2013 by Sean Patrick
- Alexander - 1964 by Harold Littledale
- Alexander Hamilton - Mar 29, 2005 by Ron Chernow
- Absolutely, Positively Alexander - Oct 1, 1997 by Judith Viorst and Ray Cruz
- My Name Is Not Alexander - Mar 8, 2011 by Jennifer Fosberry and Mike Litwin
- Alexander, Who's Trying His Best to Be the Best Boy Ever - Aug 26, 2014 by Judith Viorst and Isidre Mones
- Alexander (Isle of Eagleland) - Feb 5, 2015 by Kaydee Mavericks and Melissa Gill
- Alexander, Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday - Aug 30, 1987 by Judith Viorst
- Alexander: God of War - Feb 21, 2013 by Christian Cameron
Movies about Alexander:
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (Theatrical)2014 PG CC
- Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day (Plus Bonus Features)2014 PG CC
- Alexander the Great2010 NR CC
- Alexander (Theatrical Cut) (2004)2004 R CC
- Alexander and the Terrible, No Good, Very Bad Day2014 PG
- Tchaikovsky, Eugene Onegin - Alexander Vedernikov, Dmitri Tcherniakov, Opéra national de Paris (English Subtitled... G
- Moondance Alexander2007 G CC
- 92Y - Stars of David - Jason Alexander, Leonard Nimoy and Kyra Sedgwick: Prominent Jews Talk About B2011 NR CC
- Alexander Revisited:The (Unrated) Final Cut2007 R CC
- Alexander The Great1956 NR
Famous about Alexander:
- Alexander the Great - King of Macedeon
- Alexander Graham Bell - inventor
- Alexander Skarsgard - actor
- Alexander McQueen - fashion designer
- Alexander “A-Rod” Rodriguez - baseball player
Wiki information Alexander:
- Alexander the Great
- Literature Subject, Noble person, Military Commander, Art Subject, Person, Exhibition subject, Film subject, Influence Node, Deceased Person, Monarch
Alexander III of Macedon, commonly known as Alexander the Great, was a King of the Ancient Greek kingdom of Macedon and a member of the Argead dynasty. Born in Pella in 356 BC, Alexander succeeded his father, Philip II, to the throne at the age of...
- Alexander II of Russia
- Person, Person Or Being In Fiction, Politician, Chivalric Order Member, Deceased Person, Family member, Person or entity appearing in film, Noble person, Monarch, Literature Subject
Alexander II was the Emperor of Russia from 2 March 1855 until his assassination in 1881. He was also the King of Poland and the Grand Duke of Finland. Alexander was the most successful Russian reformer since Peter the Great. His most important...
- Alexander I of Russia
- Person Or Being In Fiction, Art Subject, Organization founder, Person, Deceased Person, Name source, Family member, Chivalric Order Member, Monarch, Dedicatee
Alexander I, reigned as Emperor of Russia from 23 March 1801 to 1 December 1825. He was the first Russian King of Poland, reigning from 1815 to 1825, as well as the first Russian Grand Duke of Finland. He was born in Saint Petersburg to Grand Duke...
- Alexander III of Russia
- Monarch, Person Or Being In Fiction, Noble person, Chivalric Order Member, Literature Subject, Politician, Person, Person or entity appearing in film, Deceased Person, Name source
Alexander III, or Alexander Alexandrovich Romanov was the penultimate Emperor of Russia, King of Poland, and Grand Prince of Finland from 13 March [O.S. 1 March] 1881 until his death on 1 November [O.S. 20 October] 1894. He was highly conservative...
- Harold Alexander, 1st Earl Alexander of Tunis
- Chivalric Order Member, Politician, Person or entity appearing in film, Person, Award Winner, Topic, Person Or Being In Fiction, Deceased Person, Noble person, Military Commander
Field Marshal Harold Rupert Leofric George Alexander, 1st Earl Alexander of Tunis KG GCB OM GCMG CSI DSO MC CD PC PC was a British military commander and field marshal who served with distinction in both world wars and, afterwards, as...
- Alexander I of Yugoslavia
- Deceased Person, Monarch, Family member, Person, Noble person
Alexander I, also known as Alexander the Unifier served as a prince regent of the Kingdom of Serbia from 1914 and later became King of Yugoslavia from 1921 to 1934.
- Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands
- Family member, TV program guest, Chivalric Order Member, Person, Noble person, Monarch, Politician, Political Appointer
Willem-Alexander is the King of the Netherlands, including the Netherlands proper, and the countries of Curaçao, Aruba, and Sint Maarten. He is head of the Dutch royal house and the House of Amsberg. Willem-Alexander was born in Utrecht and is the...
- Historical Film, Adaptation, Topic, Award-Nominated Work, Film, Netflix Title
Alexander is a 2004 action adventure biography film written by Oliver Stone, Christopher Kyle and Laeta Kalogridis and directed by Oliver Stone.
- Alexander Nevsky
- Person, Dedicatee, Person Or Being In Fiction, Name source, Noble person, Monarch, Deceased Person
Alexander Yaroslavich Nevsky; 13 May 1221 – 14 November 1263 served as Prince of Novgorod, Grand Prince of Kiev and Grand Prince of Vladimir during some of the most difficult times in Kievan Rus' history. Commonly regarded as a key figure of medieval...
- Alexander von Humboldt
- Deceased Person, Organization founder, Person Or Being In Fiction, Name source, Person, Author, Noble person, Mountaineer, Academic, Influence Node
Friedrich Wilhelm Heinrich Alexander von Humboldt was a Prussian geographer, naturalist, explorer, and influential proponent of romantic philosophy. He was the younger brother of the Prussian minister, philosopher, and linguist Wilhelm von Humboldt....