Meaning : God's gift, Gift Of God, Gift of God, Containing the element 'doron' meaning gift and 'theos' meaning 'god', the name means 'gift of god'.,
Pronunciation : DAWR-ə-thee, DAWR-thee , DOR oth ee, (DAORahTHiy),
If you have information about this name, share it in the comments area below!
Numerology information Dorothy:
- Name Number: 6. Meaning: Home, Family, Love, Balance, Harmony, Help, Warmth, Social justice
Additional information Dorothy:
- Dorothy is a Greek female name derived from Dorothea, itself ultimately originating from the words "doron" and "theos", meaning "gift" and "God" respectively. Interestingly, when these two Greek words are used in reverse order, the result is another Greek name, Theodora. The name Dorothy was fairly popular in the UK during the first half of the 20th century, but since then it's failed to maintain much traction. One common character related to this name is Dorothy from The Wizard Of Oz.
- Latin Meaning: The name Dorothy is a Latin baby name. In Latin the meaning of the name Dorothy is: God's gift.
- American Meaning: The name Dorothy is an American baby name. In American the meaning of the name Dorothy is: God's gift.
- Greek Meaning: The name Dorothy is a Greek baby name. In Greek the meaning of the name Dorothy is: Gift of God. A vision. Famous bearer: St Dorothea was martyred at the beginning of the 4th century.
- English Meaning: The name Dorothy is an English baby name. In English the meaning of the name Dorothy is: Gift of God. Aand the most common form of the name in English- speaking countries. Famous bearer: the young heroine of 'The Wizard of Oz', played by Judy Garland in the film.
- Usual English form of DOROTHEA. It has been in use since the 16th century. The author L. Frank Baum used it for the central character in his fantasy novel 'The Wonderful Wizard of Oz' (1900).
Definition funny of Dorothy:
- Dorothy's smile was as bright as the sun shining above me.
- "I wish i could be a dorothy"
- Who could help but to love that Dorothy?
- Do not feed the Dorothy.
- Dorothy makes the heavens weep.
- Literally Dorothy
Expression information Dorothy:
- for harmony and balance in their lives, and respond positively to beautiful things.
Soul information Dorothy:
- People with this name have a deep inner desire to create and express themselves, often in public speaking, acting, writing or singing. They also yearn to have beauty around them in their home and work environment.
Songs about Dorothy:
- Misty Blue (Originally Recorded By Dorothy Moore) by Chilled Jazz Masters from the Album Jazz After Dark - 30 Late Night Smooth Jazz Lounge Classics (Deluxe Version)
- No Not One (feat. Dorothy Mae Choates) by Casey J from the Album The Truth (Standard)
- The Ballad Of Dorothy Parker [Explicit] by Prince from the Album Sign 'O' The Times [Explicit]
- Misty Blue (Originally Performed By Dorothy Moore) [Full Vocal Version] by Chart Collective from the Album Karaoke Soul Hits, Vol. 3
- Dorothy Dandridge Eyes (feat. Esperanza Spalding) by Janelle Monáe from the Album The Electric Lady
- Dorothy's Victory by Bel Canto from the Album Dorothy's Victory
- Ballroom: Fifty Percent (Dorothy Loudon) (Vocal) by Dorothy Loudon;Vincent Gardenia from the Album Ballroom (Original Broadway Cast Recording)
- Opening Theme - Dorothy`s Dilemma by Judy Garland from the Album An Original Soundtrack Recording - The Wizard Of OZ (1939) (Digitally Remastered)
- Sound of Worship (feat. Dorothy Bedford) by Jim and Cookie from the Album Born for Worship
- If You Give Me Your Heart with guest Dorothy Moore by Little Milton from the Album Feel It
Books about Dorothy:
- Dorothy Must Die - Mar 31, 2015 by Danielle Paige
- The Wicked Will Rise (Dorothy Must Die) - Mar 31, 2015 by Danielle Paige
- Heart of Tin (Dorothy Must Die Book 4) - Jul 28, 2015 by Danielle Paige
- Dorothy Must Die Stories: No Place Like Oz, The Witch Must Burn, The Wizard Returns (Dorothy Must Die Novella) - Mar 3, 2015 by Danielle Paige
- No Place Like Oz: A Dorothy Must Die Prequel Novella (Dorothy Must Die series Book 1) - Nov 12, 2013 by Danielle Paige
- How to Register ISBNs & Copyrights (How to For You Book 19) - Sep 13, 2015 by Dorothy May Mercer
- The Long Loneliness: The Autobiography of the Legendary Catholic Social Activist - Sep 1, 2009 by Dorothy Day
- Gaudy Night: A Lord Peter Wimsey Mystery with Harriet Vane - Oct 16, 2012 by Dorothy L. Sayers
- The Nine Tailors - Sep 28, 1966 by Dorothy L. Sayers
- Whose Body? - Nov 18, 2009 by Dorothy L. Sayers
Movies about Dorothy:
- Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return2014 PG CC
- They Killed Sister Dorothy NR CC
- The Golden Girls: Season 11985 NR
- Entertaining Angels: The Dorothy Day Story2000 PG-13
- Herb & Dorothy2009 NR CC
- Surrender, Dorothy2006 NR CC
- Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return2013 PG
- Song of Tears - The Dorothy Dandridge Story2008 NR
- Dorothy L. Sayers Mysteries: Harriet Vane Collection2002 NR
- Amazing Stories: Season 11985 PG-13
Wiki information Dorothy:
- Dorothy L. Sayers
- Novelist, Influence Node, Film story contributor, Deceased Person, Author, Fictional Character Creator, Translator, Person
Dorothy Leigh Sayers was a renowned English crime writer, poet, playwright, essayist, translator, and Christian humanist. She was also a student of classical and modern languages. She is best known for her mysteries, a series of novels and short...
- Dorothy Hodgkin
- Person, Influence Node, Deceased Person, Author, Academic, Award Winner
Dorothy Mary Hodgkin, OM, FRS, known professionally as Dorothy Crowfoot Hodgkin or simply Dorothy Hodgkin, was a British biochemist who developed protein crystallography, for which she won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry in 1964. She advanced the...
- Dorothy Parker
- Writer, Award Nominee, Deceased Person, Composer, Organization founder, , Film writer, Musical Artist, Musician, Influence Node
Dorothy Parker was an American poet, short story writer, critic and satirist, best known for her wit, wisecracks, and eye for 20th-century urban foibles. From a conflicted and unhappy childhood, Parker rose to acclaim, both for her literary output in...
- Dorothy Dandridge
- Actor, Identity, TV subject, Award Nominee, TV program guest, Musical Artist, Person or entity appearing in film, TV Actor, Topic, Person
Dorothy Jean Dandridge was an American film and theatre actress, singer and dancer. She is perhaps best known for being the first African-American actress to be nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress for her performance in the 1954 film...
- Dorothy Perkins
- Clothing Business, Employer, Organization, Business Operation
Dorothy Perkins is a women’s fashion retailer based in the United Kingdom. Primarily aimed at 25–35 year old women, Dorothy Perkins sells both its own range of clothes and branded fashion goods.
- Dorothy Hamill
- Professional Figure Skater, Person or entity appearing in film, Olympic athlete, Person, TV program guest, Measured person, Athlete, Award Winner, Organization member, Author
Dorothy Stuart Hamill is a retired American figure skater. She is the 1976 Olympic champion in ladies' singles and the 1976 World champion.
- Dorothy Lamour
- Actor, Featured artist, Musician, Person, Person or entity appearing in film, Deceased Person, TV Actor, Topic, Film actor, Musical Artist
Dorothy Lamour was an American actress and singer. She is best remembered for appearing in the Road to... movies, a series of successful comedies starring Bing Crosby and Bob Hope. Lamour began her career in the 1930s as a big band singer. In 1936,...
- Dorothy Bush Koch
- Writer, Person, Family member, Topic
Dorothy Walker Bush Koch, often called "Doro", is an American author and philanthropist. She is the daughter of the 41st President of the United States George H. W. Bush and former First Lady Barbara Bush, and the youngest sibling of George W. Bush,...
- Dorothy Gale
- Book Character, Fictional Character, TV Character, Theater Character, Name source, Film character
Dorothy Gale is a fictional character and the adolescent protagonist of many of the Oz novels by the American author L. Frank Baum. She has a small pet dog called Toto and her best friend is Oz's rightful ruler, the child Queen Princess Ozma. Dorothy...
- Dorothy Kilgallen
- Radio personality, TV Personality, Deceased Person, Author, Person, Topic, Award Winner, Film actor, TV Actor, Influence Node
Dorothy Mae Kilgallen was an American journalist and television game show panelist. She started her career early as a reporter for the Hearst Corporation's New York Evening Journal after spending two semesters at The College of New Rochelle in New...