Meaning : Supplanter, This name has several derivatives, including James. It means 'Yaweh (God) will protect' in Hebrew.,
Pronunciation : JAY-kəb (English), YAH-kawp (Dutch) , JAY cobb, (JHEYKahB),
If you have information about this name, share it in the comments area below!
Numerology information Jacob:
- Name Number: 4. Meaning: Stability, Sameness, Regular, Rules, Condition, Responsibility, Routine, Frame, Detail, Order
Additional information Jacob:
- Jacob is a name with Hebrew origins. The name Jacob means supplanter. Common alternate spellings of Jacob are Jakob and Yakov. Common nicknames include Jake, Coby, and Yaki. Famous Jacobs include Jacob (then Israel) in the Bible’s Book of Genesis. Jacob is also a prophet from the The Book of Mormon from the Church of Latter Day Saints. Jacob of Alexandria was the patriarch from in the early 1860s. Jacob Hubner was a German entomologist and Jacob Miller was a Jamaican reggae singer. A fictional Jacob includes Jacob on the television series Lost. WikiName.net users who like the name Jacob also like names that are traditional and old-fashioned. They also like names from the Bible.
- From the Hebrew Yaakov, Jacob was borne by the biblical father of twelve sons, who gave their names to the twelve tribes of Israel. Son of Isaac an Rebecca and twin brother of Esae, Jacob was the cunning younger twin who tricked his brother into trading his inheritance for a bowl of soup. He later tricked his blind, dying father into blessing him instead of Esau. Jacob is an especially common Jewish name.
- Biblical Meaning: The name Jacob is a Biblical baby name. In Biblical the meaning of the name Jacob is: That supplants, undermines, the heel.
- American Meaning: The name Jacob is an American baby name. In American the meaning of the name Jacob is: That supplants, undermines, the heel.
- Hebrew Meaning: The name Jacob is a Hebrew baby name. In Hebrew the meaning of the name Jacob is: He grasps the heel. Supplanter.
- This name has topped the charts since ’99, and with good reason: It offers both a strong, biblical name (Jacob) and a cool, casual nickname (Jake). Let’s face it: Common as it is, Jacob is a great name. Its popularity, on the other hand, is daunting. It might make you feel better to know that even though it spent about a decade as number one, right now a smaller percentage of baby boys are bearing it, since more names are being used in general. The meaning is also a little iffy: It represents a “heel-grabber” or “supplanter,” stemming from the original Jacob’s days as a fetus -- he was the competitive little infant who emerged from the womb holding his brother Esau’s leg and later conned him out of their dying father’s inheritance and final blessing. On the other side of things though, Jacob did wind up as the patriarch of the 12 tribes of Israel. Once again, you make the call. It was mainly a Jewish name until the Protestant Reformation when Christians (and today, everyone) started using it.
- From the Latin Iacobus, which was from the Greek Ιακωβος (Iakobos), which was from the Hebrew name יַעֲקֹב (Ya'aqov). In the Old Testament, Jacob (later called Israel) is the son of Isaac and Rebecca and the father of the twelve founders of the twelve tribes of Israel. He was born holding his twin brother Esau's heel, and his name is explained as meaning "holder of the heel" or "supplanter". Other theories claim that it is in fact derived from a hypothetical name like יַעֲקֹבְאֵל (Ya'aqov'el) meaning "may God protect". The English names Jacob and James derive from the same source, with James coming from Latin Iacomus, a later variant of Iacobus. Unlike English, many languages do not have separate spellings for the two names. In England, Jacob was mainly regarded as a Jewish name during the Middle Ages, though the variant James was used among Christians. Jacob came into general use as a Christian name after the Protestant Reformation. A famous bearer was Jacob Grimm (1785-1863), the German linguist and writer who was, with his brother Wilhelm, the author of 'Grimm's Fairy Tales'.
Definition funny of Jacob:
- jacob is the sweetest most kind hearted guy i have ever met said brittney.
- Sally: Hi Jacob!! Jacob: Hi Sally :] *Sally melts into a little puddle of unbelievable happiness*
- "Hey, is that God's brother? Nope, it's Jacob."
- I am so in love with Jacob.
- OMG!! that Jacob last night was outstanding!!
- girl:jacob! jacob: hey i was just thinking about you! girl:what about me? jacob:just you. i wanted to talk to you just thinking about you.
Expression information Jacob:
- People with this name tend to be orderly and dedicated to building their lives on a solid foundation of order and service. They value truth, justice, and discipline, and may be quick-tempered with those who do not. Their practical nature makes them good at managing and saving money, and at building things in the material world. Because of their focus on order and practicality, they may seem overly cautious and conservative at times.
Soul information Jacob:
- People with this name have a deep inner need for quiet, and a desire to understand and analyze the world they live in, and to learn the deeper truths.
Songs about Jacob:
- Jacob Dumb - Munly & the Lee Lewis Harlots
- Jacob Marley's Chain - Aimee Mann
- Jacob's Ladder - Huey Lewis And The News
- Jacob's Ladder - Patrick Wolf
- Jacob's Ladder - Rush
- Wake Up Jacob - Harry Belafonte
- Jacob's Ladder (Album Version) by Mark Wills from the Album The Definitive Collection
- Jacob's Ladder (2006 Digital Remaster) by Huey Lewis And The News from the Album Greatest Hits: Huey Lewis And The News
- We Are Climbing Jacob's Ladder by Bernice Johnson Reagon from the Album River of Life: Harmony One
- Californian Freestyler (Jacob Korn Remix 2) by Luv Jam from the Album Defected Presents FCL In The House
Books about Jacob:
- JACOB: THE NIGHTWALKERS - May 1, 2011 by Jacquelyn Frank
- Jacob & Rex Finger Puppet Book: My Best Friend Finger Puppet Books (My Best Friend & Me) - Feb 1, 2014 by Annelien Wehrmeijer and Deborah van de Liejgraaf
- Defending Jacob: A Novel - Sep 3, 2013 by William Landay
- Jacob the Dragon Catcher - May 15, 2013 by Amy McNeil and Vicky Bowes
- JACOB (Brothers In Ink Romance Series Book 4) - May 19, 2015 by Linda Cooper
- Jacob (Kings of Guardian Book 1) - Jul 2, 2015 by Kris Michaels
- Jacob's New Dress - Mar 1, 2014 by Sarah Hoffman and Ian Hoffman
- There He Was: A Short Romance - Sep 16, 2015 by Holly Jacobs
- Jacob - Sep 22, 2015 by David Gerrold
- Jacob: Unexpected Patriarch (Jewish Lives) - Nov 20, 2012 by Prof. Yair Zakovitch
Movies about Jacob:
Famous about Jacob:
- Jacob - biblical son of Isaac
- Jacob Black - character in Twilight
- Jacob Riis - journalist
- Jacob - character in Lost
- Jakob Dylan (alt. spelling) - singer
Infamous about Jacob:
- Jacob Marley - character in A Christmas Carol
Wiki information Jacob:
- Deceased Person, Person, Person Or Being In Fiction, Religious Leader, Name source, Literature Subject, Art Subject
Jacob is considered a patriarch of the Israelites. According to the Book of Genesis, Jacob was the third Hebrew progenitor with whom God made a covenant. He is the son of Isaac and Rebecca, the grandson of Abraham, Sarah and of Bethuel, and the...
- Jacob Zuma
- Identity, Organization leader, Organization member, Political Appointer, Politician, Appointer, Topic, Person, Topic, Person or entity appearing in film
Jacob Gedleyihlekisa Zuma, GCB is the President of South Africa, elected by parliament following his party's victory in the 2009 general election. He was reelected in the 2014 election. Zuma is the President of the African National Congress, the...
- Brothers Grimm
- Film story contributor, Author, Musical Artist, Fictional Character Creator, Influence Node, Group, Musical Group
The Brothers Grimm, Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, were German academics, linguists, cultural researchers, lexicographers and authors who together specialized in collecting and publishing folklore during the 19th century. They were among the best-known...
- Fictional Character, Topic, TV Character
Jacob is a fictional character of the ABC television series Lost played by Mark Pellegrino. Born in the 1st century A.D., Jacob has been the guardian of the island for close to two thousand years. He was first mentioned as the true leader of the...
- Jacob Riis
- Name source, Deceased Person, Visual Artist, Person, Influence Node, Author, Literature Subject
Jacob August Riis was a Danish American social reformer, "muckraking" journalist and social documentary photographer. He is known for using his photographic and journalistic talents to help the impoverished in New York City; those impoverished New...
- Jacob van Ruisdael
- Painting Artist, Author, Person, Visual Artist, Influence Node, Deceased Person, Exhibition subject
Jacob Isaackszoon van Ruisdael was the pre-eminent Dutch Golden Age landscape painter. He was prolific, over 800 oil paintings, drawings and etchings bear his name, and versatile. No other old master matches the variety of landscape subjects he...
- Joseph in Islam
- Prophet, Film subject, Person Or Being In Fiction, Person, Deceased Person
Joseph is an important person in the Hebrew Bible: his story connects the story of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in Canaan to the subsequent story of the liberation of the Israelites from slavery in Egypt. The Book of Genesis tells that Joseph was the...
- Jacob Rothschild, 4th Baron Rothschild
- Person, Chivalric Order Member, Organization leader, Family member
Nathaniel Charles Jacob Rothschild, 4th Baron Rothschild Bt, OM, GBE, FBA is a British investment banker and a member of the prominent Rothschild banking family. He is also Honorary President of the Institute for Jewish Policy Research.
- Jacob Grimm
- Film writer, Name source, Musician, Topic, Influence Node, Film story contributor, Person Or Being In Fiction, Person, Deceased Person, Fictional Character Creator
Jacob Ludwig Carl Grimm was a German philologist, jurist and mythologist. He is known as the discoverer of Grimm's law, the author of the monumental Deutsches Wörterbuch, the author of Deutsche Mythologie and, more popularly, as one of the Brothers...
- Jacob sheep
- Animal breed, Animal, Organism Classification
The Jacob sheep is a rare breed of small, piebald, polycerate sheep. Jacobs may have from two to six horns, but most commonly have four. The most common color is black and white. Jacobs are usually raised for their wool, meat, and hides. They are...