Meaning : Elf army, Elf Army, Olive tree, From Germanic origin meaning "elf warrior" or "olive tree". Famous Oliver's include the late movie actor Oliver Hardy and the fictional character Oliver Twist.,
Pronunciation : (Ol-lih-vur), OH lih ver, AHL-ə-vər (English), AW-lee-ver (German), O-lee-ver (Finnish) ,
If you have information about this name, share it in the comments area below!
Numerology information Oliver:
- Name Number: 9. Meaning: Divine, God, Goodness, Truth, Unconditional love, Gift, Free will, Ideal, Whole, Endless
Additional information Oliver:
- Oliver is a name with English origins. Contrary to popular belief, the meaning of Oliver is Elf Army. The name has nothing to do with olives or olive trees. It originates from the Germanic name Alfher composed of the elements alf (elf) and hari (army/warrior). The most common nickname for Oliver is Ollie. Other nicknames include Ol and Oly. Oliver is a very popular name in the United States and Great Britain. It was #52 in the United States in 2013 per the Social Security Administration. It is in the top 10 among user lists on WikiName.net, rating #3 on the WikiName.net Most Popular Names of 2014. Famous Olivers include director Oliver Stone and actors Oliver Hardy, Oliver Platt, Oliver Reed and Oliver Hudson. Oliver Wendall Holmes was an American Supreme Court Justice and Oliver Cromwell was a famous British military leader and politician. Both Oliver North (general) and Oliver Hazard Perry (commodore) were famous American military leaders. Jamie Oliver is a famous British chef. People who like the name Oliver like names that are traditional and from Great Britain.
- From the French name, Olivier, recorded as the name of one of Charlemagne's retainers, the close companion in arms of Roland in the Chanson de Roland. Whereas Roland is headstrong and rash, Oliver is thoughtful and cautious. Ostensibly this name derives from Late Latin olivarius 'olive tree', but Charlemagne's other paladins all bear solidly Germanic names, so it is more probably an altered form of a Germanic name, perhaps distantly connected with Old Norse Oleifr 'ancestral relic'. It has remained in more or less continuous use since the medieval period, becoming increasingly popular since the 1980's. Famous bearers include Oliver Cromwell (politician), Oliver Bierhoff (footballer) and Oliver Twist (fictitious character in novel of the same name).
- Norse Meaning: The name Oliver is a Norse baby name. In Norse the meaning of the name Oliver is: Affectionate.
- American Meaning: The name Oliver is an American baby name. In American the meaning of the name Oliver is: Affectionate.
- Shakespearean Meaning: The name Oliver is a Shakespearean baby name. In Shakespearean the meaning of the name Oliver is: As You Like It' Son of Sir Rowland de Boys. 'As You Like It' Sir Oliver Martext, a vicar.
- English Meaning: The name Oliver is an English baby name. In English the meaning of the name Oliver is: The olive tree. The biblical olive tree symbolizes fruitfulness and beauty and dignity. 'Extending an olive branch' signifies an offer of peace.
- French Meaning: The name Oliver is a French baby name. In French the meaning of the name Oliver is: The olive tree. The biblical olive tree symbolizes fruitfulness and beauty and dignity. Extending an olive branch signifies an offer of peace.
- German Meaning: The name Oliver is a German baby name. In German the meaning of the name Oliver is: Elf army. Can also be a Relic, ancestral heritage.
- Latin Meaning: The name Oliver is a Latin baby name. In Latin the meaning of the name Oliver is: Olive (symbol of peace); peaceful.
- From Olivier, a Norman French form of a Germanic name such as ALFHER or an Old Norse name such as Áleifr (see OLAF). The spelling was altered by association with Latin oliva "olive tree". In the Middle Ages the name became well-known in Western Europe because of the French epic 'La Chanson de Roland', in which Olivier was a friend and advisor of the hero Roland. In England Oliver was a common medieval name, however it became rare after the 17th century because of the military commander Oliver Cromwell, who ruled the country following the civil war. The name was revived in the 19th century, perhaps in part due to the title character in Charles Dickens' novel 'Oliver Twist' (1838), which was about a poor orphan living on the streets of London.
Definition funny of Oliver:
- That Oliver is such a kitty. He's a real good one. It's my turn to have the Oliver. He's been cuddling with you all night. The Oliver shows his love by kneading and suckling.
- Your sweatervest is OLIVER.
- Girl: How's your boyfriend? Girl2: He's such an oliver, i love him with all my heart.
- A person named Oliver.
- Person nammed Oliver.
- Damn Oliver really has it all
- 'OMG I'd do anything to be with that lad over there' 'Well durr anyone would, that's Oliver'
Expression information Oliver:
- People with this name tend to be passionate, compassionate, intuitive, romantic, and to have magnetic personalities. They are usually humanitarian, broadminded and generous, and tend to follow professions where they can serve humanity. Because they are so affectionate and giving, they may be imposed on. They are romantic and easily fall in love, but may be easily hurt and are sometimes quick-tempered.
Soul information Oliver:
- People with this name have a deep inner desire for love and companionship, and want to work with others to achieve peace and harmony.
Songs about Oliver:
- Oliver Twisted - The Vaselines
- Oliver's Army - Elvis Costello
- Habits (Stay High) (Oliver Nelson Remix) by Tove Lo from the Album Truth Serum
- Oliver's Bag by Bob James & Nathan East from the Album The New Cool
- Outside (Oliver Heldens Remix) by Calvin Harris feat. Ellie Goulding from the Album Outside (Remixes)
- Oliver's Army by Elvis Costello from the Album The Best Of The First 10 Years
- Can't Stop Playing (Makes Me High) (Oliver Heldens & Gregor Salto Vocal Mix Edit) by Dr. Kucho! and Gregor Salto featuring Ane Brun from the Album Can't Stop Playing (Makes Me High) (Oliver Heldens & Gregor Salto Vocal Mix))
- Consider Yourself (Karaoke Instrumental Track)[In the Style of Oliver] by Backtrack Professional Karaoke Band from the Album Best of Broadway Shows, Vol. 10 (Karaoke)
- Ghost (Oliver Nelson Remix) by Ella Henderson from the Album Ghost (Remixes)
- Dangerous (Oliver Remix) by Big Data from the Album 1.6
Books about Oliver:
- Oliver (I Can Read Book 1) - Apr 5, 2000 by Syd Hoff
- Oliver - Oct 9, 2012 by Birgitta Sif
- Oliver's Tree - Mar 20, 2014 by Kit Chase
- Oliver - May 8, 2012 by Judith Rossell
- Oliver and his Alligator (Schmid, Paul) - Jun 25, 2013 by Paul Schmid
- Oliver Finds His Way - Aug 12, 2008 by Phyllis Root and Christopher Denise
- Oliver Who Was Small but Mighty - Jan 8, 2009 by Mara Bergman and Nick Maland
- Oliver Twist - Jun 22, 2015 by Charles Dickens
- Oliver (Inked Menace Motorcycle Club #2): Shapeshifting Bikers - Jul 6, 2015 by Ryanne Hawk
- On the Move: A Life - Apr 28, 2015 by Oliver Sacks
Movies about Oliver:
- Oliver & Company1988 G CC
- Jamie Oliver's Food Escapes- French Pyrenees2012 NR CC
- Todd Oliver: Funny Dog [HD]2014 NR CC
- Oliver!1968 G CC
- 92Y-Dr. Oliver Sacks on Music and the Mind (April 24, 2007)2011 NR CC
- Oliver Twist2005 PG-13 CC
- Oliver's Story1978 PG CC
- Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution Season 12010 CC
- Oliver and Company1988 G
- Oliver Twist1948 NR CC
Wiki information Oliver:
- Oliver Cromwell
- Military Commander, Name source, Politician, Identity, Film subject, Military Person, Person Or Being In Fiction, Organization founder, Person, Deceased Person
Oliver Cromwell was an English military and political leader and later Lord Protector of the Commonwealth of England, Scotland and Ireland. Born into the middle gentry, albeit to a family descended from the sister of King Henry VIII's minister Thomas...
- Play, Adaptation, Adapted Work, Written Work, Award-Nominated Work
Oliver! is a British musical, with music and lyrics by Lionel Bart. The musical is based upon the novel Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. It premiered in the West End in 1960, enjoying a long run, and successful long runs on Broadway, tours and...
- Oliver North
- Politician, Military Person, Author, Film actor, Person, TV Actor, Topic, Topic, Award Winner, Person or entity appearing in film
Oliver Laurence "Ollie" North is an American political commentator and television host, military historian, New York Times best-selling author, and a former United States Marine Corps lieutenant colonel. North is primarily remembered for his term as...
- Green Arrow
- Comic Book Character, Person Or Being In Fiction, Fictional Character, Film character, TV Character
Green Arrow is a fictional superhero who appears in comic books published by DC Comics. Created by Morton Weisinger and designed by George Papp, he first appeared in More Fun Comics #73 in November 1941. His real name is Oliver Queen, a billionaire...
- Jamie Oliver
- Chef, Award Winner, Identity, Musician, Recipe author, Award Nominee, Author, Musical Artist, Chivalric Order Member, TV Producer
James Trevor "Jamie" Oliver, MBE is an English celebrity chef, restaurateur, and media personality known for his food-focused television shows, cookbooks and more recently his global campaign for better food education.
- Crime Fiction Film, Award-Winning Work, Film, Topic, Award-Nominated Work, Netflix Title, Adaptation, Ranked item
Oliver! is a 1968 British musical drama film directed by Carol Reed and based on the stage musical of the same name, with book, music and lyrics written by Lionel Bart. The screenplay was written by Vernon Harris. Both the film and play are based on...
- Oliver Twist
- Book, Book, Adapted Work, Translated Work, Work of Fiction, Written Work
Oliver Twist, or The Parish Boy's Progress, is the second novel by Charles Dickens, and was first published as a serial 1837–9. The story is of the orphan Oliver Twist, who starts his life in a workhouse and is then apprenticed with an undertaker. He...
- Oliver Stone
- Film director, Celebrity, Person or entity appearing in film, Fictional Character Creator, TV Writer, Identity, Military Person, TV Actor, Topic, TV Personality
William Oliver Stone is an American film director, screenwriter, and producer. Stone came to public prominence between the mid-1980s and the early 1990s for writing and directing a series of films about the Vietnam War, in which he had participated...
- Oliver Sacks
- Writer, Author, Award Winner, TV Actor, Physician, Film story contributor, Topic, Person, Film writer, Chivalric Order Member
Oliver Sacks is a film story contributor.
- Oliver Goldsmith
- Novelist, Author, Identity, Quotation Subject, Organization member, Physician, Person, Deceased Person, Film story contributor, Art Subject
Oliver Goldsmith was an Anglo-Irish novelist, playwright and poet, who is best known for his novel The Vicar of Wakefield, his pastoral poem The Deserted Village, and his plays The Good-Natur'd Man and She Stoops to Conquer. He is thought to have...