Meaning : Rival, To Strive Or Excel Or Rival, To Strive or Excel or Rival, Of English origin and a variant of the Latin name Aemilia, derived from the Latin 'Aemilius', this being an old Roman surname which itself is derived from 'aemulus' meaning 'rival, trying to equal or excel, emulating'.,
Pronunciation : (EH-ma-lee), EM illy, EM-ə-lee ,
If you have information about this name, share it in the comments area below!
Numerology information Emily:
- Name Number: 1. Meaning: Individual, Masculine, Logic, Self, Active, Leadership, Initiative, Assertive
Additional information Emily:
- From a medieval form of the Latin name Aemilia, the feminine version of the old Roman family name Aemilius (probably from aemulus 'rival'). It was not common in the Middle Ages, but underwent a revival in the 19th century and is today an very common name. Emily Bronte, a 19th century poet and novelist, provides the best known association for this name.
- Teutonic Meaning: The name Emily is a Teutonic baby name. In Teutonic the meaning of the name Emily is: Hard working.
- American Meaning: The name Emily is an American baby name. In American the meaning of the name Emily is: Hard working.
- French Meaning: The name Emily is a French baby name. In French the meaning of the name Emily is: Industrious. From the Roman family name Aemilius. Famous bearer: French writer Emile Zola.
- German Meaning: The name Emily is a German baby name. In German the meaning of the name Emily is: From the Roman family name Aemilius, meaning 'industrious.' Also a From the Old German Amalburga, meaning labour and the Latin Aemilia.
- Latin Meaning: The name Emily is a Latin baby name. In Latin the meaning of the name Emily is: Industrious; striving. From the name Aemilia, the feminine form of the Roman family name Aemilius. Also a.
- Oh, Emily. After a 12-year run beginning in ’96 as the number one name in America, it was finally knocked from its perch by Emma in ’08. It’s still hugely popular though and not just in America. From New Zealand to the United Kingdom, English-speaking countries all over the world love the name. And remember, it’s not just this year’s popularity charts you need to think about -- those 12 years worth of Emilys are still running around out there. It’s not so popular without reason though. Emily is classic, simple, pretty, and feminine -- but strong. Good news for parents who love the name but can’t deal with the popularity -- there’s a variation in almost every language, from the French Amelie to the Slavic Emika.
- English feminine form of Aemilius (see EMIL). In the English-speaking world it was not common until after the German House of Hanover came to the British throne in the 18th century; the princess Amelia Sophia (1711-1786) was commonly known as Emily in English, even though Amelia is an unrelated name. Famous bearers include the British author Emily Bronte (1818-1848), who wrote 'Wuthering Heights', and the American poet Emily Dickinson (1830-1886).
Definition funny of Emily:
- she drives me crazy, shes such an Emily.
- There is only one Emily in this world and its not you, or is it?
- Guy 1:Duuude i fucked Brittney last night! Me: Oh yeah i talked with emily for 5 hours last night. Guy 1: Dude i am so jealous.
- Guy1: is that a super model Guy2: no thats just emily
- person A: "i hope i can go out with an emily tonight" person B: "i am going out with an emily tonight and we will party!"
- Hero: "Emily you have made me so angry that I want to murder innocent happy good looking children!!!" Emily: "Whoa!! Check it out dude!! Look what I made!" Hero: "Uh.. OH! WOW! That's awesome, Em!! How did you do that?!!" Emily: "I'm not telling!!"
- Person 1: Emily, your smile lights up my world. Emily: Really? I don't think it's that great. Person 1: Hey Emily, are you okay? Emily: I'm fine, just fine. Person 1: Emily, you are truly gorgeous. Emily: Keep saying that, and maybe someday I'll see it too.
Expression information Emily:
- People with this name tend to initiate events, to be leaders rather than followers, with powerful personalities. They tend to be focused on specific goals, experience a wealth of creative new ideas, and have the ability to implement these ideas with efficiency and determination. They tend to be courageous and sometimes aggressive. As unique, creative individuals, they tend to resent authority, and are sometimes stubborn, proud, and impatient.
Soul information Emily:
- People with this name have a deep inner desire for travel and adventure, and want to set their own pace in life without being governed by tradition.
Songs about Emily:
- Emily - From First to Last
- For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her - Simon and Garfunkel
- Emily by From First To Last from the Album Dear Diary, My Teen Angst Has A Body Count
- Emily by San Fermin from the Album Jackrabbit
- Miss Emily's Picture by John Conlee from the Album Classics
- An Orchid For Emily by Dave Haskell Group, Dan Zemelman, Aaron Germain, Dave Haskell and Alan Hall from the Album Pivot Point
- See Emily Play (2011 Remastered Version) by Pink Floyd from the Album The Best Of Pink Floyd: A Foot In The Door (2011 - Remaster)
- Emily (Live) by John Pizzarelli from the Album John Pizzarelli Salutes Johnny Mercer (Live)
- Emily by Dan Adler from the Album All Things Familiar Featuring Grant Stewart
- For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her (Live) by Simon & Garfunkel from the Album Greatest Hits
Books about Emily:
- Emily - Oct 8, 2002 by Michael Bedard and Barbara Cooney
- Emily's Balloon - Feb 23, 2006 by Komako Sakai
- Emily's House - Mar 23, 2010 by Niko Scharer and Joanne Fitzgerald
- Emily - Book 2 Come By Chance Mail Order Brides: Sweet Montana Western Bride Romance (Volume 2) - Oct 18, 2014 by Juliet James
- Emily of New Moon (The Emily Books, Book 1) - Apr 1, 1983 by Lucy Maud Montgomery
- Emily: Sex and Sensibility (The Wilde Sisters) - Apr 28, 2013 by Sandra Marton
- Loud Emily - Dec 1, 2001 by Alexis O'Neill and Nancy Carpenter
- Emily's Tea Party - Jan 27, 2003 by Claire Masurel and Susan Calitri
- Where We Belong - Apr 16, 2013 by Emily Giffin
- Emily's First 100 Days of School - Aug 23, 2005 by Rosemary Wells
Movies about Emily:
- The Exorcism Of Emily Rose2005 PG-13 CC
- Emily of New Moon Season 11998
- Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights2013 PG CC
- The Americanization of Emily1964 NR CC
- Emily Owens, M.D., Season 12012 CC
- The Facts of Life - The Complete First & Second Seasons1979 PG
- Emily Of New Moon: Complete Series2010 NR
- The Exorcism of Emily Rose2005 Unrated
- The Bob Newhart Show - The Complete First Season1972 NR
- Emily Dickinson: A Certain Slant of Light2006 NR
Famous about Emily:
- Emily Dickinson - author
- Emily Blunt - actress
- Emily Bronte - author
- Emily Deschanel - actress
- Emily Gilmore - character in Gilmore Girls
Infamous about Emily:
- Emily Valentine - character in the original 90210
- Emily Rose - title character in The Exorcism of Emily Rose
Wiki information Emily:
- Emily Dickinson
- Poet, , Identity, Influence Node, Composer, Hall of fame inductee, Deceased Person, Person, Name source, Lyricist
Emily Elizabeth Dickinson was an American poet. Dickinson was born in Amherst, Massachusetts. Although part of a prominent family with strong ties to its community, Dickinson lived much of her life highly introverted. After studying at the Amherst...
- Emily Brontë
- Novelist, Film story contributor, Family member, Fictional Character Creator, Author, Person Or Being In Fiction, Person, Film writer, Topic, Influence Node
Emily Jane Brontë was an English novelist and poet who is best known for her only novel, Wuthering Heights, now considered a classic of English literature. Emily was the third eldest of the four surviving Brontë siblings, between the youngest Anne...
- Emily Blunt
- Actor, TV Actor, Film actor, Influence Node, TV program guest, Person or entity appearing in film, Celebrity, Award Nominee, Award Winner, Person
Emily Olivia Leah Blunt is a British actress. She has appeared in The Devil Wears Prada, The Young Victoria, The Adjustment Bureau, Looper, Edge of Tomorrow, and Into the Woods. She has been nominated for five Golden Globe Awards, four Critics'...
- Emily Ratajkowski
- Actor, Film actor, Topic, Person
Emily O'Hara Ratajkowski is an American model and actress. Born in London to American parents and raised primarily in California, she rose to prominence after appearing in the music video for Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines", which became the number...
- Emily Osment
- Alternative Artist, Person or entity appearing in film, Person, Award Winner, Measured person, Topic, Film actor, Musician, Social network user, Musical Artist
Emily Jordan Osment is an American actress, singer, and songwriter born in Los Angeles, California. After working in several television films in her childhood, she gained fame for co-starring as the character Gerti Giggles in Spy Kids 2 and 3. She...
- Emily VanCamp
- Actor, TV Actor, Influence Node, Person, Topic, Film actor, Award Winner, Award Nominee
Emily Irene VanCamp is a Canadian actress, known for her lead roles on the WB series Everwood, ABC series Brothers & Sisters, the ABC drama series Revenge and as Agent 13 / Sharon Carter in Captain America: The Winter Soldier.
- Emily Watson
- Actor, TV Actor, Award Nominee, Identity, Topic, Person, Film actor, Influence Node, Topic, Theater Actor
Emily Margaret Watson, OBE is an English actress who gave an acclaimed debut film performance in Lars von Trier's Breaking the Waves. She is a two-time Academy Award nominee and four-time BAFTA Award nominee. Watson began her career on stage and...
- Emily Deschanel
- Actor, TV Producer, Film actor, Award Nominee, TV Actor, Person, TV program guest, Diet follower, Influence Node, Identity
Emily Erin Deschanel is an American actress and producer. She is best known for starring in the Fox crime procedural comedy-drama series Bones as Dr. Temperance Brennan since 2005.
- Emily Browning
- Actor, Musical Artist, Featured artist, Award Nominee, Person or entity appearing in film, Influence Node, Film actor, TV Actor, Person, Award Winner
Emily Jane Browning is an Australian film actress and singer. Browning made her film debut in the Australian television film The Echo of Thunder, subsequently, she played recurring roles in Australian television shows Blue Heelers and Something in...
- Cissy Houston
- Gospel Artist, Influence Node, Musical Artist, Award Nominee, Featured artist, Literature Subject, Record Producer, Author, Film actor, Musician
Emily "Cissy" Houston is an American soul and gospel singer. After a successful career singing backup for such artists as Elvis Presley and Aretha Franklin she embarked on a solo career, winning two Grammy Awards for her work. She is the mother of...