Meaning : This name may come from the Greek for 'pure' or 'of the two'. It has many variations and can be shortened to Kat or Katie. It is largely used in the English language., Pure,
Pronunciation : KATH-ə-rin, KATH-rin , KATH eh in, (KAETHerIHN),
If you have information about this name, share it in the comments area below!
Numerology information Katherine:
- Name Number: 1. Meaning: Individual, Masculine, Logic, Self, Active, Leadership, Initiative, Assertive
Additional information Katherine:
- Katherine is of unknown etymology. It is unconvincingly suggest that it may derive from 'Hecate', the pagan goddess of magic and enchantment, however the link to Greek adjective 'katharos' meaning 'pure' is more widely accepted. The name was borne by Katherine of Aragon, one of Henry VII's six wives.
- Latin Meaning: The name Katherine is a Latin baby name. In Latin the meaning of the name Katherine is: Pure, clear. Form of the Latin 'Katharina', from the Greek 'Aikaterina'. It was borne by a number of saints, including St Catherine of Alexandria, a 4th century martyr who suffered torture on a spiked wheel.
- American Meaning: The name Katherine is an American baby name. In American the meaning of the name Katherine is: Pure, clear. Form of the Latin 'Katharina', from the Greek 'Aikaterina'. It was borne by a number of saints, including St Catherine of Alexandria, a 4th century martyr who suffered torture on a spiked wheel.
- Greek Meaning: The name Katherine is a Greek baby name. In Greek the meaning of the name Katherine is: Form of the Greek Catherine meaning pure.
- Irish Meaning: The name Katherine is an Irish baby name. In Irish the meaning of the name Katherine is: Pure. Clear. From the Gaelic form Caitlin.
- English Meaning: The name Katherine is an English baby name. In English the meaning of the name Katherine is: Pure. Used since third century A. D. Early Latin forms Katerina and Caterina became Katharine and Catherine. French Cateline and English Catlyn came into wider use during medieval period when variants multiplied.
- Shakespearean Meaning: The name Katherine is a Shakespearean baby name. In Shakespearean the meaning of the name Katherine is: King Henry V' Daughter to Charles and Isabel, King and Queen of France.
- the Greek catharsis, which has retained its meaning; the Coptic name, meaning “my consecration of your name” (confusing); Hecate, the pagan goddess of magic and enchantment...Take your pick. In the early Christian era, the name was associated with the Greek katharos, meaning “pure,” which led to the spelling variation of Katharine. The name of tons of saints and royals, Katherine first became popular thanks to Catherine of Alexandria, a fourth-century saint and martyr from Egypt. Crusaders brought the name back to Western Europe, where it first started being used, and it’s been common in England since about the twelfth century. It’s also gained popularity all over the world, especially in historically Christian countries, with tons of different variations. Right now, Katherine is the most popular version in the US -- in fact, it’s the most popular of all the “Katie” names. Besides a few scant years in the 1930s, it’s been in the top 100 for more than a century, proving it’s a classic name that’s here to stay.
- From the Greek name Αικατερινη (Aikaterine). The etymology is debated: it could derive from the earlier Greek name ‘Εκατερινη (Hekaterine), which came from ‘εκατερος (hekateros) "each of the two"; it could derive from the name of the goddess HECATE; it could be related to Greek αικια (aikia) "torture"; or it could be from a Coptic name meaning "my consecration of your name". In the early Christian era it became associated with Greek καθαρος (katharos) "pure", and the Latin spelling was changed from Katerina to Katharina to reflect this. The name was borne by a semi-legendary 4th-century saint and martyr from Alexandria who was tortured on a spiked wheel. The saint was initially venerated in Syria, and returning crusaders introduced the name to Western Europe. It has been common in England since the 12th century in many different spellings, with Katherine and Catherine becoming standard in the later Middle Ages. Famous bearers of the name include Catherine of Siena, a 14th-century mystic, and Catherine de' Medici, a 16th-century French queen. It was also borne by three of Henry VIII's wives, including Katherine of Aragon, and by two empresses of Russia, including Catherine the Great.
Definition funny of Katherine:
- you're such katherine
- wowww wishhh my gurllll wass aaa katherineeeee
- hey, wait up Katherine! (to cool girl in the crowd)
- Tommy: Look! A sleeping Katherine. How do we wake -it- up? Greg: Dunno. Lemme try tickl- Kitty: NONONONONONNONONONONO
- I love having a best friend called katherine
- Example one: Person A: Katherine, how is it that you got so wonderful? Katherine: Oh...umm...I dunno. Example 2: Person A: Do you see that really pretty, smart girl over there? Person B: Yeah? What about her? Person A: She is a Katherine. Person B: Oh. Makes sense.
- I've finally got a Katherine in my life and I'm so happy
Expression information Katherine:
- People with this name tend to initiate events, to be leaders rather than followers, with powerful personalities. They tend to be focused on specific goals, experience a wealth of creative new ideas, and have the ability to implement these ideas with efficiency and determination. They tend to be courageous and sometimes aggressive. As unique, creative individuals, they tend to resent authority, and are sometimes stubborn, proud, and impatient.
Soul information Katherine:
- People with this name have a deep inner desire for love and companionship, and want to work with others to achieve peace and harmony.
Songs about Katherine:
- Katherine of Oregon - Al Stewart
Books about Katherine:
- Katherine - Oct 1, 2013 by Anya Seton
- Katherine - 1954 by Anya Seton
- An Abundance of Katherines - Oct 16, 2008 by John Green
- Crenshaw - Sep 22, 2015 by Katherine Applegate
- Conscious Uncoupling: 5 Steps to Living Happily Even After - Sep 22, 2015 by Katherine Woodward Thomas
- The Appearance of Annie van Sinderen - Sep 15, 2015 by Katherine Howe
- Mistress of the Monarchy: The Life of Katherine Swynford, Duchess of Lancaster - Jan 5, 2010 by Alison Weir
- A Wager of Love: M/M Historical Romance - Sep 16, 2015 by Katherine Marlowe
- Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity - Apr 8, 2014 by Katherine Boo
- Imagining Katherine - Aug 28, 2015 by Carol Solomon
Movies about Katherine:
- Katherine2007 R CC
- Katherine1975 CC
- The 27 Enneagram Tritypes (Part 1) by Katherine Chernick Fauvre & David W. Fauvre, MA2011 NR
- The 27 Enneagram Tritypes (Part 3) by Katherine Chernick Fauvre & David W. Fauvr2011 NR
- The 27 Enneagram Tritypes (Part 4) by Katherine Chernick Fauvre & David W. Fauvr2011 NR
- Ghost Stories Season 1 and 22010 PG
- Katherine2015 NR
- Secrets from the Underground volume 7 Katherine Fiore2008 NR
- Dance Masters: Katherine Dunham1978 CC
- Katherine Jenkins: Believe - Live from the O22010 Unrated
Famous about Katherine:
- Katharine Hepburn (alt. spelling) - actress
- Catherine Zeta-Jones (alt. spelling) - actress
- Katherine Heigl - actress
- Katharine McPhee (alt. spelling) - actress and singer
- Kathryn Bigelow (alt. spelling) - director
Wiki information Katherine:
- Katherine Heigl
- Actor, Measured person, Ranked item, Person, Influence Node, Film actor, TV Actor, Award Nominee, Award Winner, Person or entity appearing in film
Katherine Marie Heigl is an American actress, film producer and former fashion model. She played Izzie Stevens on ABC's medical drama Grey's Anatomy from 2005 to 2010, a role for which she won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting...
- Location, Australian local government area, Dated location, City/Town/Village, Administrative Division, Travel destination, Statistical region
Katherine is a town in Northern Territory, Australia. It is situated on the Katherine River below the "Top End", 320 kilometres southeast of Darwin. It is the fourth largest settlement in the Territory. Katherine had an urban population of 6,094 on...
- Katherine Jenkins
- Operatic pop Artist, Social network user, Musical Artist, Person or entity appearing in film, Identity, TV Actor, Person, Award Nominee, TV Personality, Film actor
Katherine Jenkins, OBE is a Welsh lyric mezzo-soprano, singer and songwriter. She is a popular classical-crossover singer who performs across a spectrum of operatic arias, popular songs, musical theatre and hymns. After winning singing competitions...
- Katherine Swynford
- Noble person, Person, Deceased Person
Katherine Swynford, Duchess of Lancaster, was the third wife of John of Gaunt, Duke of Lancaster, a son of King Edward III. She had been the Duke's lover for many years before their marriage. The couple's children, born before the marriage, were...
- Katherine Jackson
- Person or entity appearing in film, Topic, Family member, Person
Katherine Esther Jackson is the matriarch of the Jackson musical family
- Kitty Pryde
- Video Game Character, Fictional Character, Book Character, Comic Book Character, Film character, TV Character
Katherine Anne "Kitty" Pryde is a fictional superhero appearing in American comic books published by Marvel Comics, commonly in association with the X-Men. The character first appeared in Uncanny X-Men #129 and was co-created by writer-artist John...
- Katherine Moennig
- Actor, Identity, Topic, TV Actor, Film actor, Theater Actor, Person, Influence Node
Katherine Sian Moennig is an American actress known for her role as Shane McCutcheon on The L Word, as well as Jake Pratt on Young Americans. As of 2014, she plays Lena in the Showtime series Ray Donovan.
- Katherine Helmond
- Actor, Theater Actor, Award Winner, Award Nominee, Person, TV Director, Topic, Film actor, Identity, TV Actor
Katherine Marie Helmond is an American film, theater and television actress, voice artist and director, who played Emily Dickinson on Meeting of Minds, as well as fictional television characters, for which she is best known, including Jessica Tate on...
- Katherine Mansfield
- Writer, TV subject, Deceased Person, Influence Node, Author, Name source, Person
Kathleen Mansfield Murry was a prominent modernist writer of short fiction who was born and brought up in colonial New Zealand and wrote under the pen name of Katherine Mansfield. At 19, Mansfield left New Zealand and settled in the United Kingdom,...
- Katherine Parkinson
- Actor, Film actor, Person, TV Actor, Influence Node, Award Nominee, Award Winner
Katherine Jane Parkinson is an English actress. Parkinson is best known for her role as Jen Barber in the Channel 4 comedy series The IT Crowd, for which she received a British Comedy Best TV Actress Award in 2009 and a BAFTA TV Award in 2014. She...